Quinoa Porridge Benefits and Recipe!
We view porridge as a staple breakfast meal in cold weather and recommend that you use quinoa instead of oats!
The Benefits of quinoa include:
- One of the most protein-rich foods we can eat containing all nine essential amino acids.
- Contains almost twice as much fibre as most other grains.
- Contains Iron.
- Contains lysine. Lysine is mainly essential for tissue growth and repair.
- Rich in magnesium.
- High in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.
- Has a high content of manganese.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water or almond milk
- ¼ cup organic coconut cream (optional, but so yummy)
- 1 tsp. shredded coconut
- 1 chopped date (optional)
- ½ chopped banana or pear
- Handful of chopped walnuts/almonds
- Big shake of cinnamon
- Boil quinoa in a saucepan of water for about 10 minutes – you will see the grain start to open. Most of the water evaporates so you don’t need to drain it.
- While in the saucepan, add the coconut cream, date, banana and cinnamon and stir.
- Transfer the porridge into a bowl.
- Get creative with toppings! Try Greek or coconut yoghurt, figs, cinnamon, homemade granola, berries, more shredded coconut – so many options.